28th May 2015
Introducing…Levenshulme Girls Football Club
Levenshulme Girls football club was founded two years ago by Celia Hamilton, husband Dave and daughter Sancia. It all started when football-mad Sancia, a Manchester City fan desperate to start a girls team, contacted the Manchester Evening News to appeal for players to join her. At the time she was the only Levenshulme Girls player and was getting her footie fix by turning out for mixed teams elsewhere.
The campaign worked and 15 under-11s players turned up on the night for the first training session of many and Levenshulme Girls was formed. They’ve gone from strength to strength since, including their famous 6-0 victory of St John’s Chorlton. Such is the appetite for a girl’s football team in Levenshulme, that an under-9s team will be kicking off at the start of the next season, opening football up to girls of a much younger age.
Both Celia, Dave and the other coaches are FA qualified, enabling them to deliver a structured and approved level of leadership and training that will stand the girls in good stead as they develop. All adults involved with the team are also background-checked by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Girls Football in Levenshulme – A Promising Future
From their first training session with 15 players, Levenshulme Girls now regularly attracts 25 enthusiastic young players from around the local area, and they’re already making a name for themselves as a determined, organised and hardworking team. “We drew twice against one of the league’s strongest teams – Heyside Angels, despite being a player down on each occasion, to injury and illness respectively. That’s quite an impressive feat!” says Celia.
As we write this, the 2014-2015 is approaching its conclusion and Levenshulme Girls look set for a respectable league finish, despite only being in their second season.
“The girls are already looking forward to their well-earned end-of-season awards next month at Trove” adds Celia.
Get Involved with Levenshulme Girls Football Team
If you’d like to get involved or know someone who would, here’s all the essential info.
- Weekly training is at the Energy Box, Levenshulme High School. 6pm – 7pm every Thursday, outside in Summer and indoors during Winter.
- The first session is free!
- Training costs £2.50. This fee is to cover pitch hire and equipment.
- Girls just need to bring trainers, shin pads and a water bottle.
- The girls play in the North Manchester Girls’ League and the season runs between September and May.
- Age ranges are between 5 and 15 at the moment.
- Currently players are aged between 5 and 15, all abilities welcome.
- Levenshulme Girls are particularly keen to hear from players born between 2003 and 2007 as their Under 9s/10s start their first league season in September 2015.